How to Tell If Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa Is Right for You?
The Temporary Skill Shortage visa is a type of employment visa that enables employers in Australia to sponsor individuals from another country to work for them. Also referred to as subclass 482, the Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa was launched in March 2019. If you can find an Australian business owner who is willing to recruit you from your country to fill a position in their company, you may qualify for the Temporary Skills Shortage visa.
The TSS visa comes in three streams:
- Short-Term Skilled Occupations List. This comprises a two-year visa that you can extend only once. This stream does not offer a chance of permanent residency in Australia unless you are eligible for transitional arrangements. You must show proof that you are a legitimate temporary entrant and have a 5.0 overall score in IELTS.
- Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List. You may be nominated for up to four years and may qualify for permanent residency via transitional arrangements, and if you have a 457 visa before obtaining a 482 visa, you must have a 5.0 IELTS score (6.0 score for permanent residency).
- The Labour Agreement Stream. Under this stream, an employer may nominate you if you have a 457 or 482 visa. It also requires complying with the Labour Agreement terms to transition to a 186 visa. You need to meet the English proficiency, health, character, and age requirements according to the Labour Agreement.
Choose the stream that is suitable in your case. Refer to the list of Eligible Skilled Occupations.
The requirements for subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa for applicants
- You have the right qualifications and skills for your job to be able to fulfil the role well.
- You should have a minimum of two years of experience at your company.
- An Australian employer nominated you for an employment position and is recruiting you to work for their company.
- Your occupation belongs on the Combined List of Eligible Skilled Occupations.
- If you are in Australia, you have to abide by the visa condition and have a substantive or bridging visa.
- You meet the DHA requirements for health and character.
- You can speak the English language. There are exempt countries for English language requirements, which are the USA, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada.
Steps to apply for Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa:
Check the Consolidated Skilled Occupation Lists if your occupation belongs there. Make sure you meet the requirements for eligibility before you apply. These include being knowledgeable of the English language, meeting the required character and health checks, as well as obtaining health insurance while staying in Australia.
Look for an employer in Australia who can give you a job position and is willing to apply for employer sponsorship in the Department of Home Affairs. After that, the employer should nominate you for the Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa. It is possible to apply for the TSS visa while the Australian employer submits your nomination and sponsorship application online via the DHA.
Once your TSS visa has been approved, you can start working in Australia, at the same time, work full-time for the employer who sponsored and nominated you for the position. The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa is quite beneficial not only for the applicants but also for their family members. This is because the temporary work visa application allows for another dependent family member.