What to Know Before Visiting Your Local Ob. Gyn. Clinic?
Women and girls all over the world are advised to frequently and periodically fix an appointment with a gynecologist. A gynecologist is a specialist who treats patients who have female reproductive organs, irrespective of their gender identity. An obstetrician is a kind of gynecologist who specializes in pregnancy and childbirth in particular.
Many women are daunted by the fact that they need to routinely visit the gynecologist and a lot of women never see one unless they are pregnant or unable to conceive. They are very afraid of visiting the gynecologist’s office and do not see the need to.
The truth is, there is a need to visit a gynecologist every six months or a year, at the latest, to keep your reproductive organs in check. The experience in itself is not as horrifying and bad as people assume it to be.
In Bangalore, a city that is so forward-thinking still sees many women and girls who will not schedule an appointment unless it is of utmost importance or if there’s an emergency. Whether the reason for this is the social conditioning, traditions, or stigma, many women are afraid.
However, if there are some abnormalities detected, even if it is the slightest change, getting an appointment could save you a lot of pain and maybe even your life. When you make an appointment, look out for the best gynecologist in Bangalore, and read the reviews to ensure that you can feel safe during your appointment.
Common Questions Before the First Visit
If this is your first time visiting the gynecologist or if you’re wondering about whether it’s time to take your child or family member, you might have many questions. If you look for the best gynecologist in Bangalore, they will answer most of your questions with ease. Here are a few answers to the most common questions people have.
- What is the appropriate age to see a gynecologist? -There is no appropriate time to schedule an appointment. Experts recommend having your first visit between the age of thirteen years and fifteen years. If you’re older, you can randomly just schedule an appointment for a general check-up. If something specific is bothering you, you can let your doctor know in advance as well.
- How awkward will it be? – It is completely normal to have your genitals professionally checked. Remember that you are visiting a highly trained and skilled professional, they are doctors who specialize in the female reproductive system. When you finish your first appointment, you will realize that it wasn’t half as scary or awkward as you thought.
Your doctor will talk you through the process, explain it as they go, and will most likely be friendly. They will create a calm and comfortable environment while finishing the diagnosis. They may ask you about family health, medical history, and sexual history amongst other things. It is important to answer these questions honestly and accurately so that the doctor knows what to look for, however, you can rest easy knowing that you will receive no judgment or bizarre conversations from them.
- What to expect during the exam? – When you have your first visit, depending on what you are there for, your doctor might want to run a few quick tests. They will vary on your reason for being there, your sexual history, how old you are, and other lifestyle choices you make.
Your doctor will either do an external pelvic exam, genital exam, breast exam, or pap smear to look out for cancer as well. This is why regularly visiting your doctor is important considering if cancer is present, it is detected earlier and will be easier to treat and cure. For women under the age of 18, doctors will only perform these tests with parental or guardian supervision.
- Do I need to prep before my visit? – It is not necessary to make any preparations such as shave or wax before you go for an examination. All you have to do is ensure that you stay clean, take a shower before and after the exam and use a gentle, odorless soap to maintain genital hygiene.
- What about Follow up? – When you finish your first visit, if your doctor performs tests then you should follow up in a week or so to check the results. Sometimes you may have to go back for extra tests or treatment that your doctor will let you know about. If you are in good shape, you will not have to immediately follow up.
Making an appointment once every six months is ideal and will ensure your complete health. When you are booking your appointment for the first time, ensure you research the doctor to make you more comfortable. Pick who you think is the best gynecologist in Bangalore and take a friend or family member along if you feel very anxious.